Friday, June 5, 2009

Flexibility


We are moving toward our departure date. We actually have the first few stops planned. Through the whole process, we would like to maintain a balance between planning and flexibility. So we are trying to keep ideas in mind, make contacts, and do what we need to do to make things go smoothly, while at the same time not doing things too far in advance. This is a good exercise for me. I am prone to making lists and being heavily organized. There will be some room for that in the short term, but I know I can’t start planning for where we will go in the Midwest, for example, since I have no firm dates to confirm and it is far too early to predict how things will unfold. We want to keep that flexibility in place, since it is part of the beauty of this trip. We can go where we feel led to go and take as much time as feels right in the places we stop. If I were to schedule everything for the entire 3 months, we would lose that spontaneity. So we’ll see how it goes planning a couple of weeks in advance and watching things happen as we go along. As I told a friend, the only thing I am expecting is the unexpected. It’ll be fun to see what happens!