Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Anniversary in New Jersey


August 22, 2009
We're in New Jersey! I have not been here in 12 years and before that it was 10. I spent lots of time here as a kid because most of my mother's side of the family lived here. We're staying with my Aunt Marie—she looks just the same! She still lives in the same house that I used to visit and stay in when I would hang around with my cousin. So much of the surrounding area looks completely different, as you would expect, but then some familiar thing jumps out and I find myself saying, “Oh yeah, I remember that.” Anyway, it is kind of strange to be in this house where some things look different and some things are the same.

We have met the dog, Babe, and commenced with the fussing and spoiling. We plan to go down to the house at the shore, which I have not been to in over 30 years, and Bill wants to get his truck looked at. For now, I am just enjoying being here and catching up with my aunt!

August 23, 2009
Today is our 29th anniversary. I never would have guessed that I would be spending it in New Jersey! Life takes us in interesting directions sometimes. It doesn't really matter where I spend the day, though, as long as I'm with Bill. Our marriage has been the thing that I am the most grateful for in my life.


Aunt Marie took us to see the spot where my Nana's house used to be. After she died, a developer bought the houses and property and is building some new McMansions. You would never know what it used to look like. That makes it easier somehow, because there are no traces of what it used to be and I have my memories. Then we went to the cemetery where we saw her vault, as well as that of my grandfather and uncle. We went back to the house for awhile and then Aunt Marie took us out to lunch at a place called Panera Bakery. It was really good. I'd seen the signs on the highways, but had never heard of the place before that. I had some broccoli-cheddar soup and a turkey sandwich. Yum! Tomorrow, she is going to show me how she makes her sausage and peppers. Tuesday, we go down to the shore house.